Saturday, May 24, 2008

The 'Treat 'in Nature Retreat

Marlene Walker
Copyright, 2008

Last weekend provided a melee of weather conditions from Spring-like warmth which enticed wildflowers to a damp chill which encouraged extra layers of clothing. Precipitation was also mixed from light rain to a torrential downpour that lasted hours with wind to match. After the rains which ended just before dusk, the sky put on a display. I stood on the deck overlooking the lake and watched as a gentle mist rose into the tree canopy and the clouds danced with a swatch of gray, pink and yellow. It was a performance I won’t forget. In the aftermath of this, the highlight was the sunset. I walked towards the blaze of colour as it descended quickly into the western horizon. I looked down at a puddle that reflected the image but with both the diminishing light and the disappearing act, I didn’t capture the image on my camera. In my mind’s eye however, it was photographed.

Now, several days later, as I think about the ‘sunset’ event, I reflect on how nature mimics our own lives. Sometimes nature’s fury unleashes chaos with torrential rains, hurricanes or other natural disasters; other times there is serenity, perhaps most exemplified by calm water. Our lives are filled with challenges, some we can control and some we cannot. Some challenges we create, others we undertake or inherit. I find that an intimate involvement with nature is a wondrous way to put life into perspective and at the same time give balance. Retreating from everyday activities and putting oneself into a quiet place is a ‘treat’. Even as a young girl, I would go into the woods, find a large rock and sit in that ‘quiet’ place. It gave me an opportunity to be ‘with myself’, to think or not to think, to listen to birdsong and to re-charge. I knew even then that nature was a wonderful antidote.

I wake up early and set out on a trail. Birdsong greets me as soon as I walk outdoors. A Winter Wren, with its characteristic long, high frequency trill is the first songster I hear. I search low on the ground for this harbinger of Spring, although its song resonates in the canopy. In fact it usually sings from about three feet off the ground where it perches on a fallen log or a rotting tree stump, never too far away from shelter. Only four inches long with a tail that sticks up perpendicular to its body, this tiny bird sings like a giant. My friend joins me and I point in the direction of the music. He shakes his head. The frequency is too high for his limited hearing range. He turns up his hearing aid, but to no avail. I realize how fortunate I am to have the gift of birdsong.

Further along the trail I hear a White-throated Sparrow, a beautiful songbird. The male has a white throat and yellow ‘lores’ between the eye and bill. Its melodious song offers variations on a theme, ranging from five notes, consisting of two clear notes followed by three quavering notes to shortened versions comprised of one, two or three notes. A Yellow-Rumped Warbler joins in, followed by a Song Sparrow. A cacophony of song fills the forest. It is an organized ‘chaos’, but it is possible to learn to filter out the sounds and focus on one song. Just like our own challenges, we can focus on one at a time.

I return from my walk in the woods, exhilarated and exhausted. I’ve found new nature ‘gems’, and witnessed spring growth. The cycle of the seasons is comforting, predictable and exciting. Retreating from everyday life for a day, a weekend or even an hour is a ‘treat’. It rejuvenates my mind and soul. Experiencing nature is one way to achieve balance in our lives. It is a special present that we can give ourselves
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You write with beauty and grace. You create a story and a picture that is so easy to follow.

kelsey mason said...

What a lovely description. It would the happiest place to be. Thanks Marlene for your impressions.

Kelsey Mason

Anonymous said...

Every story you write captures my imagination. You fill your stories with knowledge and descriptions that seem to take me on a holiday with you.
Thank you.